Monday, January 11, 2010

Superman vs Aslan the Lion and Big Christianity



You know how Christians claim C.S. Lewis' classic Narnia set as allegory?
This wasn't what C.S. Lewis intended when we wrote it but you can read about all that when you look it up on wikipedia and see there's an entire section on Christian Parallels.

Why is this not so for Superman? Why is there no "Christian Parallels" section?

Jor El sent his only son to Earth to watch over and protect it's people. Right? Just like my other boyfriend whose name rhymes with "odd" who had a son named Jesus who was a carpenter (I used to watch the hell outta that guy on PBS. If someone can find me his old show intro, I'll love you forever) and the first known surfer (duh...walk on water much?), who's mother was a virgin (if you don't count anal).

Anyway, I don't ever remember anyone ever saying "yup, there's a christian parallel there" while watching Christopher Reeve fly around with his dreamy blue-eyed, underwear-on-the-outside-of-his-tights sportin', plastic red boots havin' ass. Nor do I remember seeing the Superman VHS set or comic books on the church library bookshelves the way I did The Chronicles of Narnia.
So I'd thought I'd point it out for you.

AND were you aware that the reading order for Chrarniacles is just as confusing as watching Lost during its regular TV season instead of via Netflix?? What the hell is that about?
No wonder I never got past the 2nd or 3rd chapter of Prince Caspian (which came 2nd in the reading order of the box set I owned as a kid).

If you say something like, "well Superman didn't die and come back to life the way Aslan and Jesus did", I'll say bullshit. He has in the books.

Can you think of any other pop-iconic figures that have Christian Parallels (great band name, btw)??

PS. Now that I'm reading more about the creators of Superman, I'm learning that they're Jewish which is probably the main reason why Aslan and Superman aren't represented the say way on Big Christian bookshelves.
But then....wasn't Jesus a jew, too?

oh, SNAP!

1 comment:

Willie said...

I just watched something on History or Discovery Channel about this very subject. They actually mentioned the parallels between Jesus, Moses and Superman. Can't remember the name of the show though.

How about Harry Potter?