Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Confession - Progress

"May" after Day 2 & in shitty lighting:

I'm comfy with her face now but her left foot is pissing me off.  There's been at least 3 revisions of it today.
The scissors almost look real on this photo.  That's pretty badass.
The scalpel will get some detail work to change it from a butter knife to a scalpel.
I gave her a cigarette this a.m.  She deserved it.  Going all night with a receded hair line and no face.

There's a lot of Disney & Archer influence coming through, I think.
Or I could just be full of shit.

I confess: this is the first time I've drawn/painted a full human figure and its cool to see it come through the way I see it in my head.  That's always been kind of a frustration point.
Also learned today, hands are difficult.  There were probably about 2 or 3 attempts at a sketch for that where the smudges are on the "floor" under the cooler.  Will be practicing over the next couple of days.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it!

But stop fighting the norm and make her hand what it is!

A sawed off shotgun :)

Unknown said...

May doesn't use guns. duh.
And I like her cigarette holding hand.
Its Adam's hand I'm having trouble with.

JD said...

this is cool - do you entertain artistic suggestions/challenges?

Unknown said...

always up for a challenge!

JD said...

I was just thinking of how you and I got into a heated discussion yet we've never met - I'll bet the same is true for a number of people on facebook, blogs, etc.


We form our opinions of people based on some profile info, a couple posts and some random photos. I often wonder how close MY version is compared to the real person.

I have no artistic skills at all (aside from my beat poetry) but I think it'd be cool to draw people I barely know in a fictional setting based solely on the opinion I've formed with very little actual info.

But, like I said, I have the artistic skills of an ape, and, since you and Matt dig art/comics/graphic novels/etc. I thought it'd be cool to see your take.

Unknown said...

That's a pretty awesome idea, JD.
Definitely one to think more on.

You're right, it does happen a lot on the internets when folks are passionate & everyone's got different views on things. If we all agreed on everything, we'd be pretty fuckin' boring.

I think you're just fishing to be a subject for a painting. ;)

JD said...

ok, but I don't do nudes anymore.

Unknown said...

that's where "artistic license" comes in handy.

JD said...

mine's been revoked

Broken Barn Industries said...

I love this idea!