Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Altamonte Gladiators 2008

So, I'm supposed to blog about Altamonte Gladiators. And the way I was going to do it is taking too long and I don't have the patience to sit down and really focus on it to do it right. I figured by the time I got it done and all the kinks worked out - it would be a week or more after Altamonte Gladiators even took place. And who the hell would care about it then??
Plus my head hurts right now.
First, a little history.
Way back in 2006 we held our very first Summer Bomb party. It was supposed to be a massive May baby birthday bash but kept getting pushed back - until it was in July. We just really wanted to have another reason to have a party after our Christmahannukwaanzaakuh Martini Jam was so much fun. And who wants to wait a whole friggin' year?? So Summer Bomb it was. At first I'd wanted it to be a "make your wildest dreams come true" type of party with anything anyone could possibly ever have wanted to do available at the drop of a hat. We lined up a 30 ft inflatable slip-n-slide and another water slide, but it was the climb up and slide over kind with a splash pool at the bottom. We didn't really have a theme but I knew I wanted to blow shit up and pirates rule - so I did party favor bags like what you got when you were a kid. We made them purdy with a Jolly Roger and war stickers and filled them with pirate crap - pencils, super balls, fake tatoos, stickers, eye patches, teeth, etc. We had a keg (which only got about 3 qtrs killed) and had a ton o' yard toys and food stuffs and fireworks. The last person left at 4 am. It was a DAMN good party.
So last year we kicked it up a little bit and did Cops-n-Robbers. Matt and I built a jail cell. We had Personal Effects envelopes full of badges, whistles, tiny handcuffs, etc. We had the same 30ft slip-n-slide, but 2 of them, and then a full bounce house. There was a smiley face pinata I made to look like a robber. Robble Robble. Another keg (which only got about 3 qtrs killed) and a bunch of chik-fil-a. At around midnight, our neighbor came over, smacked me, and said we needed to have more food out. She went home and came back about 20mins later with a big platter of spaghetti. Last person to leave was at about 2/2:30. It was a damn good party.
Because we had such a good time with those - its something we really look forward to every year now. Its a chance for us to hang out with all of our favorite people and act like complete and utter fools.
This year we decided to do a play on American Gladiators (one of my guilty pleasures) and encourage everyone to wear spandex and really throw down. We got crap to play powerball, we had an Eliminator Course set up between the 30ft slip-n-slide and this random octopus bounce house slide thing. The bounce house was pretty damn funny. It was like an undersea adventure with an octopus looming over head and dolphins on the outside. Inside there was a basketball hoop (cuz that's a very popular game down in the deep blue depths) and a seahorse that looked more like a big letter "J". I guess kids like to ride it but it doesn't really hold up well for adults - we just fell off it or crushed it repeatedly. To get into the bounce house there was a bounce ramp leading up inside. After being on the slip-n-slide and going through 2 bottles of dish soap, this ramp, along with everything else inside got very very slippery and I swear I had the best time for about an hour in there all by myself when it got late. Just slidin' around in circles and trying to stand up and floppin' around like a feesh. Getting out, I slid down the ramp thing and landed square on my tailbone. Which made Sunday very painful. Anyway - along with the slide in the bounce house that I think only 3 or 4 people actually made it up ,and the "J", and the 30ft slip-n-slide, we also decided to play beer pong. We'd gotten a pony keg this year since we hadn't finished the ones years past. We killed that poor little pony keg in about 2 or 3 hrs. The boys left to get another one. And that one ended up floating. Matt says there's about half left in there. HA! We killed 3 qtrs of a keg. Atleast we're consistent!! There was a late night pool venture and I heard (maybe saw) a man-on-man chickenfight. I remember swimming from one end to the other. And I remember running back to the slides. I really do make a point to get our money's worth while they're here. Infact - when I finally got off of them, most people had gone for the night. I remember boxing a couple of guys. Yes, I hit like a girl. Last folks left around 2ish.

It was a damn good party.

Maybe I'll start either Gladiator or boxing training soon. Maybe next week - after my coccyx is healed.

No comments: