Friday, December 2, 2011

Florence + the Machine - Ceremonials


If I could be any one else in the whole world, I would want to be Florence.
Even though she doesn't ride rollercoasters.
The music she makes is rollercoasters enough.



There's something magical about the mix of her voice, the drums, the harp, the lyrics....that pulls on you emotionally.  Well, on me anyway.  I can't speak for you turds.
I listened to this first song, "Only If For A Night" and was in tears about half way through.
The song's about her dead grandmother visiting her in a dream and giving her advice.

But it isn't sadness that makes me teary eyed, its an overwhelming amazement & joy that her music (and music in general) can make such an impact on people and evoke such emotion.

I've posted before an excerpt from her website that sums it up perfectly.  Go check that out.

You know how artists who find their niche and particular sound, the music starts to kinda run together a bit and each song sounds a bit similar to the one before it?
Florence doesn't do that.
Yes, you can definitely tell its them, but there's no running together.
I was worried about that with this album...how could they top Lungs?

Well, I'm insanely happy to say, they've done it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

also, I didn't mean to leave Isa's keyboards out in the magical mixture mentioned above. she is the "machine" part afterall.

PackMatt73 said...

One of the best live artists I've ever been lucky enough to see.

exVAhitman said...

Hey,,,you probably don't visit AOL much anymore, but have you seen this?: http://music.aol.com/sessions/florence-and-the-machine-dog-days-are-over-sessions/

Unknown said...

was just reading about these recently. thanks for the link!