Friday, June 24, 2011

Florence + the Machine - Lungs

I first saw Florence +the Machine on Palladia a few years back. She had been dressed all in black flowiness and was climbing the stage rafters in high-heeled boots.
Her performance was so uh-mazing, I told Matt to find her music for me.
Unfortunately, there was only one record out....Lungs.
He downloaded it for me, I listened to it a couple of times, but something shiny distracted me and it took about 6 months for me to revisit and fall head over heels in love with the album, listening to it on loop and dancing like a wild woman through the house.
Here's an excerpt from her website that puts into words what, up until reading this, I had been unable to.*
***********
This from here:
“I want my music to sound like throwing yourself out of a tree, or off a tall building, or as if you’re being sucked down into the ocean and you can’t breathe,” says Florence Welch. “It’s something overwhelming and all-encompassing that fills you up, and you’re either going to explode with it, or you’re just going to disappear.”
***********
We've got tickets to go see her & the Machine at Hard Rock next Thursday, but for those of you who aren't able to see her live, NPR released this yesterday & you can watch the show online.
-------------------------------
*In the past, I'd always described it as feeling the music in your soul...or having it pull on your chest. Florence says it much better than I do.

No comments: