Monday, June 27, 2011

Media Monday - Summer Reading

Switching things up a little bit today.
Was just talking to someone about books and thought it would be good to share my reading list for this summer.

I just finished up Kim Harrison's latest in the Hallows Series. Oh, that Rachel Morgan. Always gettin' into shenanigans. Had a good ending and was a little bit different from recent episodes. I dug it. Its fun light reading - good for pool/beachside*.

Just started Steve Martin's latest. His writing is....quirky & sweet. And you can hear his voice reading it to you in your head (that's how it is in mine anyway). I've read both Shopgirl and Pleasure of My Company and loved them both.

Also on the list:

Carl Hiaasen - Nature Girl. I've never read any of his books and my friend, Sarah, gave me this one after I'd asked if she liked it. She read it in one weekend and said it was "silly".

Tom Wolfe - The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Going back to some classics this year and what better time to read about hippies than summer time!!

Hunter S. Thompson - Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. Never read it. I read Curse of Lono years ago, but never this one for some reason. Thanks to Willie - I'm now craving all Hunter all the time. If you get a chance, watch "Gonzo" and "Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride". Both great documentaries on the man.

In The Blink of An Eye - Walter Murch. Picked this one up as a recommendation from Sean Patrick Flannery and bought a couple copies for my editing friends. Matt Kelland has already asked to borrow it. I'll read it after him, I reckon.

What So Proudly We Hailed - Blaine Staat. This one makes me laugh cuz I worked for this guy on the corporate dayjob floor some years back. Apparently, he's a future seer and there are a lot of things that he wrote about in this book that parallel present day issues. He blogs here, if you're interested in reading. Great guy who makes lots of great points to think on.

5 books.
5 is good right??
If I add anymore, you'll be updated for sure.
------------------------------
*Unless you get distracted easily like I do when there's lots of primo people watching to be done.

2 comments:

Broken Barn Industries said...

Love Steve Martin. I can't get over how many talents he has. Currently reading Sin in the Second City, non-fiction, about two sisters who ran a brothel in turn-of-the-century Chicago. Juicy stuff!

Ink said...

Are you enjoying Fear & Loathing? I really liked that book. Psychedelic warriors doing battle in the outer realms!