Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Decade

Last week, I hit my 10 year anniversary of being a humble employee with Large Software Corp.

Ten years.
1 Decade.
1/3 of my life.

10 years ago I was a 22yr old who had no idea which way she wanted to go and had no real business getting into the industry I've now spent 12yrs in.
10 years ago I hated my job and who I worked for, so I went looking for another gig in the area and since I was already in hardware....sure, software seemed to fit.
Plus, it was more money....which, at 22 & itching to have my own roommateless apartment, was really key in accepting the offer letter that came the day after my interview.

I've held 5 positions, moved my desk back & forth between 3 buildings, met my now husband, watched the company change ownership, have worked for 9 managers, 3 CEOs, have gotten countless kudos awards, have gone through 2 desktops & 2 laptops, traveled to about 5 major cities, and I've seen at least 5 rounds of layoffs (one of those I was actually included in).

10 years ago, I had no idea I'd remain with the company for so long.
And honestly, I had no intentions to remain with the company for so long.
But here I am....and here we are.
Happy Anniversary to us.

No comments: