Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July

This made me laugh this morning.

What does 4th of July mean to you?

To me, it means a bunch of people left a country they couldn't stand anymore because of religious differences, stole lands from a native people already here, and built upon those stolen lands the foundation for what we have today, which continues to change and grow and move in different directions, like any living breathing thing.
For only being 234 years old, this country has seen & experienced a pretty fast-paced & interesting upbringing.

To me, the 4th also means fireworks & beer.

We missed the Red, Hot, & Boom show last night that takes place over by the mall (how much more america can you get?) - we usually watch from our front window or the big lawn outside.

Instead of standing in our front window watching fireworks, we visited my cousin & Aunt & mom joined & we did a crockpot cook-off.
I made crockpot crap, mom made pork chops & peaches, Dianna made a crockpot cobbler.
Dessert always wins.
Although, Robert (my uncle) made a pretty severe dent in the crockpot crap and asked for the recipe.

Today we go to see Eclipse with mom, then on to The Wilson's & then the Kelland's 4th parties.

Here's a fireworks picture I didn't take.
Here's to you all having a happy and safe 4th of July weekend!!
CHEERS!!

And this is in memory of my grandfather who LOVED that freakin' song & I think of him every time I hear it played (usually during fireworks displays).

No comments: