Wednesday, November 5, 2008

God Given Right as an AmeriCAN

So there was the dream I had. And about 10 or 15 mins later we got through the voting line. Once inside and in our section of the alphabet, we got up to the nice lady with her book o'names. She asked for my ID and I handed it over and a flippin' she did go. She found a Barbara Stephenson and a Matthew Stephenson (who happened to be standing next to me) but no Karen Stephenson. HA! Shocker. So, I say, "oh well." and start to step out of the line. She hands me a card with "Name not in precinct book" checked off and tells me that the ladies on the other side of the room can help me out. I wait at that table for about 10 mins and while I'm waiting, I start to think back to 2004 - when I initially registered. I'd registered for the primaries which would've been February. Matt and I moved to our townhouse in July and then married in October. So my dim light went off that I wasn't up to date. 5-10mins later, Matthew was done voting and they'd found my name in the book - still under my maiden name. They tell me I'm ok to vote and let me cut back into the S-Z line and then I was on to do my deed. The language in the amendments is ridiculous. Why they can't cut out the bullshit and double negatives boggles my mind. I had to read each one at least twice just to make sure I comprehended it and didn't accidentally vote the way I didn't mean to. I filled in all the ovals with my black felt tip pen (not a #2 pencil) and then took my new fangled ballot, held it up in the air proudly, slid it into its top secret card stock folder flap, and then handed it to the lady who was feeding them into the machines. TA DA - I DID IT!!! Wow - part of the process. I wish I was in the Electoral College. Then I'd REALLY feel like I was a part of something.

No comments: