Friday, December 21, 2012

My Effin' Chicken Recipe

A few of you have been asking for this recipe.  You should know, I don't cook with recipes really.  I "loosely base" my own shit on recipes I watch or read about.  Mostly from memory after I read it once or twice.  And I don't measure things and my cast iron skillet is King.  Love that thing. (heh, that rhymed)

Watch this video to see where I learned the basics.
Thanks to Willie for sharing that bit.

So, on this one, I seared it on 3 sides (back, side, and side - each for a few minutes) and put it back on it's back and then I threw in a half an onion, a carrot, and some celery all cut up into bits.  Oh, and a couple cloves of garlic.  Throw your veggies into the pan around the sides and salt and pepper it all before you throw it all in the oven.  And when you throw it in the oven...it'll be at 350ish, for about an hour.
Afterwards, I like to take a spoon and lean the pan onto one side and spoon the drippings & seasonings back up on the bird before serving.

For a side to go with, I made a badass mashed cauliflower.  Here's how you do that nonsense:
1 head of cauliflower, 1 thing of crumbled goat cheese (I get publix), 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, some salt, 2 or 3 tblsp (or maybe a 1/4c) of chicken broth, some butter.
Boil or steam your head of cauliflower, when its soft, drain it and throw it in the food processor with the garlic, butter, goat cheese, salt, and chicken broth.  Turn that shit on and/or pulse when needed to get the cauliflower lumps out.
Ta-muthafuckin'-da.  Mashed cauliflower.  An awesome alternative to mashed potatoes.

I LOVE cooking this.  And the leftovers are great, too.
So there.

No comments: